The one set of lights was left off again last week. Not having that one set of lights on leaves the side of the pitch closer to the road darker. When playing there last Wednesday, I felt that having that one side darker does affect the game to some extent.
I spoke with the Sports Planet management last night. They are looking to replace the floodlights for the big pitch. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
..., as the games are from 5 to 6 pm, the risk of rain is greater. On the other hand, as it is at the weekend, and in the early evening, we might want to go ahead even if it is raining (provided there is no lightning), so the rain policy may be different.
We'll see how it goes.
I might wait until April before switching the Sunday game to Khalsa. The advantages of waiting a bit longer are:
* We'll be closer to the dryer season. * The Wednesday night game at Khalsa, which starts this week, should be better established, so more players will be used to the venue by then.
I will move the Saturday game to Khalsa soon after.
As the big pitch at the Premier Pitch @ Turf City is much more expensive (due to the pitch being covered), the price per person varies with the actual number of players. As I move the weekend games from Turf City to Khalsa, I will introduce prepayment and standard prices.
It will be $10 per player, regardless of whether the game is 7-a-side or 8-a-side.
* It is a much better pitch. It's the newer astroturf without the black grains that get into your shoes. * It's much cheaper. I can therefore cap it at $10 per player whether it is 6-a-side or 7-a-side. * It is a more central location (in terms of Singapore-wide). * It has an MRT station nearby.
The only disadvantage is that it is not covered, but are we really that afraid of a bit of rain?
I'll switch the Sunday game first, after Easter, and then see how it goes before deciding on whether to switch the Saturday game as well.
Proximity to MRT is not an advantage for those who drive. More important is availability of car parking lots, and Turf City has ample lots.
Cost is not an issue. It does not make a big difference whether I pay $8 or $12.
While the turf at Khalsa is superior, the turf at Turf City is good enough.
And I, for one, do not enjoy playing off the side netting.
Heavy rain is a potential problem. If it is raining cats and dogs, I forsee that there will be some absentees.
And if there is lightning, it is a very good excuse for no-show.
So you see, there can be just as many cons for Khalsa pitch as there are pluses.
Can you keep at least one game (Sat or Sun) at Turf City for those living in the west, for those who do not like rain and sun, for those who do not like playing off side-netting, for those who are driving....? I am sure there will be enough interest.
I understand the Turf City lease expires at the end of August. Can you keep the game at Turf City going until at least till the end of August?
Thanks very much.
Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011 16:57:35 GMT 8 by Foo Cheong
1 - rain in Singapore is not a rare event it could be raining cats and dogs we can still play at TC
2 - the big pitch at TC is much bigger than the khalsa one, ie : more space (and more running!) I think the dimensions you have stated above are erroneous, or maybe they gave you the dimensions of the small pitch after playing at khalsa last night I'm positive that the big pitch at TC is longer than khalsa
The bigger problem is of course the weather, as the pitches at Khalsa are uncovered. Although it has not rained during our weeknight games from 9 to 10 pm on the uncovered pitch at Sports Planet, I have acknowledged that it is more likely to rain between 5 and 6 pm, the time slot for our weekend games.
As for parking, there is plenty of street parking in the vicinity, even if you can't get a lot in front of the Khalsa Association.
If there are sufficient numbers, the weekend game at Khalsa can be in addition to the existing games. There was a period last year when the Sunday game was so popular we had two games on the big pitch on Sundays. However, numbers for the Sunday game have fallen away since the end of last year, although there has been a bit of a pick up over the past couple of weeks.
As the Cage game is stuck at 6 (and I've done all the SMSing I can do since Friday), I've arranged with Imran for Mark T and Shawn to join the Turf City game. John J can switch to later in the week, while Sivaraj is also playing later in the week, but as it stands, Robbie and Jia Wei won't get a game.
The solution might have been to switch the game to a 7-a-side at Khalsa, but unfortunately, no 7-a-side pitch is available tonight.