Post by Rajiv on Mar 9, 2013 8:53:06 GMT 8
From next month onwards, I will schedule two slots on Saturday, the first from 5 to 6 pm, and the second from 6 to 7 pm. As was the case when we used to have two slots on Sunday (one from 4 to 5 pm, and the other from 5 to 6 pm), I will use one thread for both slots.
This is how it will work:
* If there are enough players for two games, the first game will be limited to a 7-a-side on the big covered pitch. The first 14 will be in the first game (5 to 6 pm).
* The second game (from 6 to 7 pm) will also be on the big covered pitch. This is for players outside the first 14. The minimum number is 12 (6-a-side). The maximum number will be 16 (8-a-side). The aim is to get 14 (7-a-side). Players outside the first 14 who cannot make 6 to 7 pm should indicate as such against their name.
* If there are not enough players for two games, then the first 16 will go into the 5 to 6 pm slot, and it will be converted to an 8-a-side.
* Although one of the aims of prepayment was to fix the payment so that it would not vary with the number of players, this was based on the difference between the minimum and maximum number of players for the game being two. However, as we will now have a range of 12 to 16 (difference of 4) for a game on Saturday, the price will have to vary with the number of players - $13 for 8-a-side, $14 for 7-a-side, and $15 for 6-a-side.
Therefore, there will be 2 games if we have 26 to 30 players. Players from the first game will be allowed to make up numbers for the second game, up to 14. However, priority in the second game will be given to players not playing in the first game. If we have less than 26, only the first 16 get to play in the single game from 5 to 6 pm.
We've tried it two Saturdays now, 2 March 2013 and 9 March 2013. On both occasions, we didn't have enough for a second game from 6 to 7 pm, so the 5 to 6 pm game has gone on or will go ahead with 16 players at $13 per player.
.... creating a later additional slot has its ... difficulties, including:
* Persuading players to switch from the very popular 5 to 6 pm slot to an unknown new slot.
* Trying to get enough players for an additional slot later on Saturday evening, when many players will be planning a Saturday night out.
More generally, players may have other commitments later on a Saturday evening.
However, once everyone is back, we should have more than enough players for two games on Saturday evening, provided that enough players can be flexible. How quickly the equivalent Sunday game (5 to 6 pm at The Grandstand) fills up will also be a factor in how much effort I make to get the second game going on Saturday. If by Friday evening, we are still significantly short of players for the second game, and the number of places left for the Sunday game is roughly the same or greater than the number of players we have for the second game on Saturday, I am likely to cancel the second game on Saturday, and ask the players down for that whether they would like to switch to the Sunday game.
Another issue raised is that the GIFFA System currently provides that in the first 48 hours after the schedule thread is put up:
We've had players putting 3 or 4 names down for each of the games on 2 and 9 March 2013.
Since I generally don't change the system between putting up the schedule thread and the game itself, I replied that the change would be made from next week onwards, together with other changes.
From next Saturday onwards:
1. The maximum number of names an approved player can put down for the 5 to 6 pm game in the first 48 hours will be 2 (including the player himself), and the other player must also be an approved player.
2. The maximum number of names an approved player can put down for the 6 to 7 pm game in the first 48 hours will be 6, and up to two of the 6 can be guests.
So if you want to put down a group of players, or introduce new players, please use the 6 to 7 pm slot. I have no objections if a player puts names down for both slots. Priorities will be determined after 11 am on the Saturday.
Also, the target number for the 5 to 6 pm game is 14 (although if we only have one game, I'll put it up to 16). Therefore, the price per player for the 5 to 6 pm slot will be fixed at $14 (whether it is 7-a-side or 8-a-side).
The target number for the 6 to 7 pm slot is also 14, although we may go ahead with 12, or if there are players who want to continue from the 5 to 6 pm slot (particularly if they want to play with friends who are playing from 6 to 7 pm), we can go up to 16. If we only have 12, 2 to 4 players will be allowed to continue from the 5 to 6 pm game to bring numbers up to 14 or 16. To encourage players to consider the 6 to 7 pm slot, until at least the end of March 2013, I will reduce the price per player by $1, therefore $13 for a 7-a-side, $14 for a 6-a-side, and $12 for an 8-a-side. Further, if we have 1 to 4 players continuing from the 5 to 6 pm game in order to make up numbers to 14, or to play with friends down for the 6 to 7 pm game, I will let them play the additional hour for $8 each.
The later 6 to 7 pm slot will be cooler, so I expect it to get going sooner or later, as we move into the warmer part of the year. However:
... if the 6 to 7 pm slot doesn't work out, then I will press the Premier Pitch for a 3 to 4 pm slot - currently a small pitch is available, but a big pitch may become available in the future if one of three other small pitches becomes available, to be combined to form a big pitch.