Post by Rajiv on Nov 30, 2015 9:51:34 GMT 8
More regular events, like the women's game on Sunday, or Babs's beer sponsors for the Saturday game, are either no longer organized through GIFFA, or have more or less come to an end.
From the "GIFFA-defined & other men's games" thread:
Playing with 3 teams over 2 hours has been suggested several times over the years, but mainly by newer players or players who don't play so regularly. Our regular players are used to our format of two teams playing flat out for an hour without breaks or substitutions, and are not keen to switch to 3 teams over 2 hours to accommodate more players in our regular games.
When we have played with 2 teams over 3 hours, the format has been:
- 1st 20 minutes - Team A v Team B
- 2nd 20 minutes - Team B v Team C
- 3rd 20 minutes - Team C v Team A
- 4th 20 minutes - Team A v Team B
- 5th 20 minutes - Team B v Team C
- Last 20 minutes - Team C v Team A
There will be 3 team selectors in the team selector poll, and each player will have 3 votes. The colours will be white, red and black.
However, a switch to playing with 3 teams over 2 hours will remain very exceptional, and is of course subject to a second hour for the same pitch being available. And of course, the price per player will have to be adjusted, depending on the price of the pitch.
- The switching of teams breaks the momentum of the play. The intensity of our regular games is lacking.
- Over two hours, players, especially those on Team A, spend 40 minutes waiting. Players on Team C can come later, while players on Team B can leave earlier, and save themselves up to 20 minutes. Many of us don't want to waste those 40 minutes.
- The switching of teams requires a lot of co-ordination, and can be a bit chaotic.
If players are interested, it might make more sense as a one-off GIFFA event.
If there is sufficient interest, I will organize one in the first half of 2016, possibly a Sunday in March or April. I am looking at 5 to 7 pm on a Sunday, at either Khalsa or The Grandstand.
Anyone interested, please reply below.