I'm away on Monday, and after the late cancellation this Monday, I need to go down to The Cage to resolve some issues before the next game, which I can't do before then (including payment), so next Monday's game is also cancelled.
For the first time since 20 to 23 February 2012, we had 4 weeknight games this week:
* 27 February to 1 March 2012 - 2 games, Monday at Kallang and Wednesday at Khalsa (no East Coast game for the first time in ages!) * 5 to 8 March 2012 - 3 games, Tuesday at East Coast, Wednesday at Khalsa and Thursday (team match) at Khalsa. * 12 to 15 March 2012 - 3 games, Tuesday at East Coast (6-a-side), Wednesday at Khalsa and Thursday at East Coast. * 19 to 22 March 2012 - 2 games, Wednesday at Khalsa and Thursday at East Coast. * 26 to 29 March 2012 - 4 games, Monday at Kallang, Tuesday at East Coast, Wednesday at Khalsa and Thursday at East Coast.
* 2 to 5 April 2012 - 5 weeknight games, including 1 team match. * 9 to 12 April 2012 - 5 weeknight games. * 16 to 19 April 2012 - 3 weeknight games (no game on Monday, one game on Thursday at East Coast). * 23 to 26 April 2012 - 2 weeknight games (regular game on Wednesday, team match on Thursday, both at Khalsa).
Including the two weekend games, we had 7 games each week for the first two weeks of April.
The record of 8 included one women's game and two 5-a-side games at Kallang.
We've managed 2 games on the following dates this month:
* Sunday, 6 May 2012, at Turf City, the first from 4 to 5 pm, the second from 5 to 6 pm. * Thursday, 17 May 2012, both from 9 to 10 pm, one at Khalsa and the other at East Coast. * Sunday, 20 May 2012, at Turf City, the first from 4 to 5 pm, the second from 5 to 6 pm. * Thursday, 24 May 2012, both from 9 to 10 pm, one at Khalsa and the other at East Coast.
That's 8 games from Monday 14 May 2012 to Sunday 20 May 2012 (114 places), and also 8 games from Saturday 19 May 2012 to Thursday 24 May 2012 (111 places as we were short for the Monday game). That's record numbers for the regular men's games over a week. The previous record of 8 games included a women's game. If women's games are included, there were 9 games over each of the above periods, as there was also a women's game on Sunday 20 May 2012.
For the men's games, we have had:
* 28 Apr to 3 May 2012 - 4 games, with no games on Monday and Tuesday as numbers were short over Labour Day (1 May) * 5 to 10 May 2012 - 7 games, two on Sunday, one each for the other days, with no second game at East Coast on Thursday. * 12 to 17 May 2012 - 7 games, with two games on the Thursday, and one each for the other days. * 19 to 24 May 2012 - 8 games, with two games on Sunday and Thursday, and one each for the other days.
* 26 May to 31 May 2012 - 5 games, with no game on Monday. The game on Thursday was at East Coast. * 2 June to 7 June 2012 - The basic 6 games. The game on Thursday was at Khalsa. * 9 to 14 June 2012 - 7 games, with two games on the Sunday and the Thursday, but no game on the Monday.
Two games on Sunday or Thursday has occurred fairly regularly over the last couple of months, an indication of the large pool of players for Turf City and East Coast, and the growing pool of players for Khalsa.
It is the Monday night game at Kallang, the only game at Kallang each week, that has been struggling with numbers.
Further, if I do get round to introducing a Friday night game, it is likely to be at Kallang, where we only need 8 to 10 players for the game to go on. However, the pool of players for Kallang is not big enough, struggling to sustain one game a week, let alone two.
... at present, no pitch is available at Khalsa on Tuesday nights.
I doubt many of those rushing for Tuesday night would play 5-a-side at Kallang. Anyway, the Monday night game at Kallang has been cancelled over the past two weeks due to insufficient players, and still places available for next Monday night at Kallang.
5 or 6-a-side on Tuesday night on a small pitch at Turf City might work. However, I don't see that as a possibility until next year.
There are always places on Wednesday night at Khalsa and Thursday night at either Khalsa or East Coast. I'm not sure why Tuesday night at East Coast is more popular than any of those.
Anyway, until all the weeknight games fill up regularly, I'm reluctant to start any new weeknight games.
I could put up the price of the Tuesday night game at East Coast to $11 so those who can make Wednesday or Thursday will give it a try.
I understand Elvin has managed to get a covered big pitch at Turf City for Thursday nights, and that game will be regular. Other than a small overlap of 3 or 4 players, the pool of players for Thursday night at East Coast and Khalsa is separate.
Amongst other things, I am looking to move the Tuesday night game at East Coast to Monday night.
Currently, the Tuesday night game fills up on the day it is put up, that is, Thursday, or by the following day, and there are several reserves. On the other hand, the Monday night game at Kallang struggles to fill up.
It is frustrating that the Tuesday night game, with 14 places available, fills up, and has several reserves, much earlier than the Monday night game, with only 10 places to fill.
The system works better if the earlier game fills up first. It appears to be the venue that is more popular than the day of the week, so it would make sense to move the East Coast game to Monday night.
Also, by having a longer gap between the first East Coast game, and the second one on Thursday, more players are likely to play twice a week, which would give the Thursday night game at East Coast greater consistency.
"Also, by having a longer gap between the first East Coast game, and the second one on Thursday, more players are likely to play twice a week, which would give the Thursday night game at East Coast greater consistency."
Playing both games at ECP on a regular basis, the longer recovery period does help in my personal opinion.
It appears to be the venue that is more popular than the day of the week, so it would make sense to move the East Coast game to Monday night.
erm, how did you get this conclusion?
Because the Tuesday night game used to be at Kallang in 2009 and 2010, and it was the game that was most often cancelled. I only switched the Tuesday game to East Coast from August 2010 onwards, as no pitch was available at Kallang for several months.
Although I have to say it isn't entirely the venue. It is as much the familiarity between players. Which partly explains why Thursday night isn't as popular. And of course, Sports Planet screwing up the Thursday night booking at regular intervals doesn't help. And also, not everyone is up to playing within 2 days of playing on Tuesday. As Rai points out, it helps if it is 3 days.
If enough players switch from Tuesday to Monday, then it is in effect the same game.
It gives me something to look forward to every other day.
I'm not so sure about that, since you often withdraw from one or the other.
Anyway, a Monday/Thursday should work as well, especially with the longer period to recover. Or you could do Monday at East Coast, Wednesday at Khalsa, and if the East Coast games prove really popular, we could start a Friday one as well, so more of every other day to look forward to!
I think Kenny makes a good point - if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If it is broken, fix the right thing. Don't cut from the place which is doing well, to fix the parts which are struggling.
Unfortunately, it is broken. It fills up on the day it is put up (Thursday), and other players have to consider whether to put themselves down as reserves. Then you get so many withdrawals on Monday and Tuesday that up to the 6th reserve gets to play.
If tuesday moved to monday, I might give it a miss, and book myself for wednesday or thursday - as I play 11-side games on the weekend.
This may potentially mean I play one less game per week. Wed or Thursdays - instead of Tues AND Thurs - where time/legs/wife permit
.... If I could make it, I would!
I think you've only played 2 times in a week a handful of times this year.
I know the desire is to play twice a week, but sometimes, we have to face the reality.
What day do you play 11-a-side? Saturday or Sunday? If it's Saturday, then Monday shouldn't be a problem - both Thursday and Monday are two days away. If it's Sunday, Tuesday or Friday are both 2 days away.
I've been trying to move the Wednesday night game at Khalsa to Tuesday night, but there is no availability of a pitch.
If the East Coast game is moved to Monday, I intend to replace the Tuesday game with two, one at Kallang and one at Turf City, but the venues might not be suitable for you.
And if the Monday night game starts filling up within a day or two of being put up, it's easier for me to create an extra slot on Tuesday.
I play my 11 side game on Saturday - and it still hurts on Tuesdays haha - although, not as bad as Monday
Yes.. I know I haven't always played twice a week. Would love to, but as you said.. reality is it's tough. But always good to have that option
I don't mind turf city (I work at UE Square) - but you know what, and it's a point you mentioned earlier which I didn't pick up on: The crowd is very important. No offense to the groups of players on other days, but the Tuesday bunch has been fun to play with personally. And that's a plus.
Personally, I'm fine with either dates so long as its at east coast. However, I concur w kenny's earlier pt n fear tat the tues crowd may just be dispersed after a while (due to personal scheduling issue or preference).
Maybe we can 'pilot' alternating between Monday n Tuesday at East Coast in Oct instead for fully on Monday??